MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Police say Charleston Catholic High School student charged after threat

Charleston police say a Charleston Catholic High School student has been charged after making a threat against students. (WCHS/WVAH)

Charleston police said a Charleston Catholic High School student has been charged after making a threat against students and is in police custody.

The high school and Sacred Heart Grade School were closed Tuesday due to the incident.

Parents received a text alert message about 7:30 a.m., notifying them about the school closures. The alert said the schools are working closely with Charleston Police Department.

The Charleston Police Department said police received information late Monday about possible terroristic threats involving a male juvenile student at the high school. Police said a student at the school had been making his hand into the shape of a gun and pointing it at students, a news release from the police department said. The student also reportedly told a friend not to come to school Tuesday.

After an investigation, police consulted with the Kanawha County Prosecutor's Office. The suspect will be charged with terroristic threats through a juvenile petition, the release said.

Police said they have made every effort possible to ensure the suspect would not have access to firearms.

"First and foremost, student safety is most important. At no time were students in immediate danger. Police investigated, and the threat has been removed. School will be open tomorrow," said Tim Bishop, Director of Communications for Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston.

Bishop said school officials will meet to discuss the student’s future, saying protocol is instant suspension.

"This student will not be in class or in school anytime in the immediate future," Bishop said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending