EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSINJURED TEEN UPDATE
from Eyewitness News Online
Supporters Of Injured Teen Urge Donors To Contribute To Only Designated Sites
Reported by: Jeff Morris
Videographer: Katy Brown
Web Producer: Jeff Morris
Also Contributing: Bob Frank, Bethany Simmons
Reported: Dec. 19, 2012 10:26 PM EST
Updated: Dec. 21, 2012 8:58 PM EST
St. Albans , Kanawha County , West Virginia
Friends and supporters of a St. Albans teenager critically injured in a house fire are urging people to only make donations to the designated donation sites.
Jaden Mellert, 13, is being treated in the intensive care unit of a Pittsburgh hospital. He has burns over 17 percent to 20 percent of his body.
City National Bank is accepting donations, in the name of Jaden Mellert. New Hope Baptist Church, located along Coal River Road, also is accepting any and all donations for the family, who lost everything.
Supporters said there have been some concerns raised that someone has been attempting to collect donations and is not authorized to do so.
A St. Albans teenager remained in critical condition Thursday after his home went up in flames earlier in the week.
Eyewitness News has learned that Jaden Mellert, 13, received serious burns over 30y percent of his body after the fire at his home early Wednesday morning.
Investigators said they believe a ceramic heater blew up, causing the fire. Friends of Mellert's family tell us that he was asleep on the couch, right next to the heater, and that is how he received such serious injuries.
A fund has been set up to assist the family. Donations can be made at the City National Bank in St. Albans, in the name of Jaden Mellert.
New Hope Baptist Church located along Coal River Road also is accepting any and all donations for the family, who lost everything. Jaden Mellert's 5-year-old brother and parents escaped unharmed.
Jaden Mellert remains on a ventilator in a Pittsburgh burn unit.
A St. Albans family lost everything in a house fire early Wednesday morning.
And now the students at Hayes Middle School are coming together to help out that family, including fellow student Jaden Mellert.
"He's really funny, just cheers people up."
Well now it's Jaden's turn to be cheered up.
Along with the Mellert's losing everything, Jaden was severely burned by the fire. Now, the Hayes Middle School 8th grader is being treated at the Pittsburgh Burn Center.
When that news reached his classmates, they all started to pitch in and lend a helping hand.
"It's just nice to see the students here are so willing and ready to jump in and to let own of their friend and peers know that they care about him and they'll do anything they can to help him," said Hayes principal, Scott Monty.
Elizabeth Sowards has known Jaden since they were in elementary school. She was shocked by the news Wednesday.
"I started crying because I didn't know how bad it was because people were saying he was like unconscious and stuff and he had stuff in his lungs. And I didn't know what was going to happen," said Sowards.
And so far, the support for Jaden and the Mellert's has been overwhelming.
"He fits in well with our kids and they really like him," said Monty, "And that's become apparent today, how much they care about him."
Principal Monty also said the school plans to collect clothes and anything else the family might need.
For now, they send their thoughts and prayers.
"We're all praying for him and we miss him and we love him," said Sowards, "And we hope for the best."
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
2012 NEWS: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Home | Eyewitness News Newsroom | Storm Team Weather | Eyewitness Sports | Schedules
Send email to email@example.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2013, WCHS-TV8. Portions are
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.