EYEWITNESS LOCAL NEWSPOOL HEATER BLAMED
from Eyewitness News Online
Hotel Patron: Carbon Monoxide Leak Death Could Have Been Prevented
Reported by: Dave Benton
Videographer: Bob Aaron, John Tincher
Web Producer: Bethany Simmons, Dave Benton
Also Contributing: Bob Aaron, Teresa Fayak
Reported: Feb. 4, 2012 12:28 PM EST
Updated: Feb. 5, 2012 11:47 PM EST
South Charleston , Kanawha County , West Virginia
One person died and another left in serious condition after a carbon monoxide leak at a South Charleston earlier this week.
It happened Tuesday morning at the Holiday Inn Express located by the Ryan's in Corridor G.
Lori Burnside stayed at the Holiday Inn Express ten days before a man was found dead on the fifth floor. Officials say the man died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Burnside tells Eyewitness News that hotel staff said there was a problem with ventilation in the pool area. "I think they knew there was a pool problem but not a problem with carbon monoxide at that time."
Officials say the pool heating unit was the source of the leak. Burnside says, "It's very scary because it could've been us. My daughter was actually nauseous."
Burnside says she's not going to take legal action against Holiday Inn Express. She just wants people to know the problem should've been fixed.
Eyewitness News has made attempted to get a comment from Holiday Inn, but our calls have not been returned.
Police are investigating a death at a South Charleston hotel after a build up of carbon monoxide killed one man, injured several others, and forced the evacuation of a South Charleston hotel. It happened around 10 Tuesday morning.
It apparently came from a pool heater at the hotel.
Firefighters ordered all gas to the building to be turned off and the building vented. At least 16 people were taken to area hospitals.
Some of the victims are from an out of state construction company and they were staying in rooms on the 5th floor. What appeared to be a medical problem quickly turned into a major emergency involving firefighters, paramedics and police.
The man who died worked for Rosciti, a New England based construction company.
The company's website says it has 65 years of construction service that extends service to New York and New Jersey.
No word yet on what kind of construction work the men were doing in West Virginia.
They do work in the following industries: natural gas, heavy site development, water, telephone, electronic, sewer, and directional drilling.
The two most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are improper combustion and ventilation. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. Symptoms of mild, acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo, and flu-like symptoms. Larger exposure can lead to toxicity and even death.
Under current State law, there is no code requiring hotels or motels to have carbon monoxide detectors. It's only legally required for homes built after 1998 that have a gas furnace or stove.
MORE NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS
2012 NEWS: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Home | Eyewitness News Newsroom | Storm Team Weather | Eyewitness Sports | Schedules
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2013, WCHS-TV8. Portions are
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.