CYBERSPACE NEWSLast Update on Monday, May 20, 2013 3:05 AM EDT
from Eyewitness News Online
Financial Times Sits Hacked
Another attack on a media site — and again, one that is being claimed by the Syrian Electronic Army. The latest target: a batch of Twitter accounts and a blog maintained by the Financial Times. The hacking took place this past Friday. And on one of the Financial Times' Twitter feeds was the message: "Syrian Electronic Army Was Here." The FT has since said it has secured the accounts that had been targeted. The Syrian Electronic Army is a pro-government group which has regularly targeted media organizations it sees as sympathetic to the country's rebels. Recent targets have included the BBC, Al-Jazeera, E! Online, and the satirical newspaper The Onion. Last month the group claimed responsibility for hacking The Associated Press' Twitter feed.
It was an organization set up to turn unauthorized publishers of newspaper content on the Internet into paying customers. But now NewsRight is disbanding. Instead it is transferring its operations to Moreover Technologies — a company that monitors how its clients are portrayed in the media. NewsRight said its previous role of trying to protect original news content will be assumed by the Newspaper Association of America. NewsRight was launched in January, 2012 to track the unpaid online use of content from The Associated Press and more than two dozen other news organizations. It grew out of efforts started by the AP and its partners in October 2010 to track the use of stories on Web sites, blogs and other Internet forums through what it called the News Registry.
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer is promising to unveil "something special" today. It will happen in New York — where reporters are being invited to attend an event in New York's Times Square. No details about what the announcement will be — other than a hint that Mayer will be discussing a product.
Sonic The Hedgehog Heads To Nintendo
The little blue guy is now rolling exclusively with a different crew. Sega says it will release the next three games in its Sonic the Hedgehog franchise on Nintendo hardware. The first title will be called "Sonic Lost World" and is set for release on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS later this year. The original rapid running side-scrolling "Sonic" made its debut in 1991, becoming a rival to other video game icons like Super Mario and Pac-Man. The president of Nintendo of America says Sonic and Mario will team up again as they have in the past. Look for them to star together in a game based on the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
Home | Eyewitness News Newsroom | Storm Team Weather | Eyewitness Sports | Schedules
Send email to email@example.com for information or comments concerning WCHS-TV Eyewitness News.
Copyright ©2013, WCHS-TV8. Portions are
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.