Prosecutor: Marion officers won't face charges in teen's death caught on body cam
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP/KATV) -- A state prosecutor says two eastern Arkansas police officers won't face charges in the fatal shooting of a black teenager outside an emergency youth shelter.
Prosecutor Scott Ellington says 16-year-old saying Aries Clark pointed a black BB gun at officers when he was shot on July 25 in Marion.
In a letter to Col. Bill Bryant of the Arkansas State Police, Ellington said Wednesday that the two local officers -- Brannon Hinkle and Wesley Smith -- were justified in using lethal force. He noted that body camera footage shows Clark raised what appeared to be a pistol toward the officers outside East Arkansas Youth Services.
Body cam video from the officers show the tense moments leading up to the fatal shooting. (WARNING: The videos below contains footage that may be disturbing to some viewers. We have edited this video to exclude the fatal shooting of the teen.)
Ellington said Clark had been placed at the facility by court order, but had left and was trying to gain entry.
The shelter contracts with the state to provide services to children in foster care or children who have been involved in the juvenile justice system.
Officials with the Marion Police Department say the two officers who were placed on administrative leave after the shooting will return to normal duty.